Hardeeville Fire Department Captain
30 Martin St.
P.O. Box 609
Hardeeville, SC 29927
Phone: (843) 227-4591
Fax: (843) 987-3356
Captain Application Process
The Hardeeville Fire Department is known for aggressive firefighting tactics, proactive fire, and life safety education programming, and one of the most efficient extrication departments in the state. We protect and serve residents and visitors through fire prevention activities and emergency responses to fire, EMS, and hazardous materials incidents. If you are interested in helping people and want an exciting career in public service, become a Hardeeville Fire Captain!
Starting Salary: $53,517 Entry Level, $66,896 Mid-Grade, $80,275 Maximum
EMT Cert: 3% of base salary, Paramedic Bonus $6,000
Work Hours: 24 Hour-48 Hour Rotating Shifts
Applicants considered for positions will participate in a two-day process consisting of a written test, physical agility test, tactical exercise, and oral interview scheduled for September 27th & 28th. For testing details and essential information, all applicants MUST visit City of Hardeeville website employment tab: http://www.hardeevillesc.gov/2199/City-Employment
Applicants selected for hire will perform firefighting, rescue, and emergency medical services at the senior company officer level. This is accomplished by extinguishing fires, conducting fire and rescue operations, preventing the reoccurrence of fires, maintaining, and inspecting fire apparatus and equipment, conducting pre-fire plans, training on firefighting techniques, performing public relations activities, providing life support, and participating in continuing education for state certifications. Other duties include maintaining grounds and facilities, testing equipment, managing a designated station, and performing other duties as assigned.
Applicants hired will perform all tasks above through attending classes and participating in rigorous physical training. All applicants selected for hire who do not currently have NREMT-B certification or higher must attain NREMT-B certification to maintain employment.
There will be a physical ability test, written exam, tactical evolution, and oral interview as part of the process.
- Two (2) years as a line officer
- Five (5) years of fire experience
- IFSAC or Pro-Board Fire Officer I/II
- IFSAC or Pro-Board Leadership I, II, III or equivalent
- IFSAC or Pro-Board Firefighter I/II
- EVDT or equivalent
- NIMS: 100, 200, 700, 800
- IFSAC or Pro-Board Pump Ops 1
- Preparation for Initial Company Operations (PICO)
- Strategy and Tactics for Initial Company Operations (STICO)
- Decision Making for Initial Company Operations (DMICO)
- Valid Class ‘E” driver’s license or equivalent
- Basic Aerial Ops or equivalent
- EMT, Advanced-EMT, Paramedic
- Five (5) years as a full-time firefighter, preferably at the Company Officer level.
All applicants must meet the following standards:
- Must be 18 years of age, possess a high school diploma or GED, and a valid driver’s license with no suspensions in the last 3 years.
- Submit to employer’s drug and alcohol testing requirements.
- Out of state applicants MUST submit a 10-year driving record with their application.
Starting salary: $53,515-$66,896 depending on qualifications. This does not include regularly scheduled overtime.
*Applications that are not filled out completely, will not be considered*
Applications must be submitted to:
City of Hardeeville
Attn: Deputy Chief
P.O. Box 609
Hardeeville, SC 29927
All applicants considered for employment must submit to a background check and urinalysis screening for illegal drug use prior to offer of employment. The City of Hardeeville is an EOE and E-Verify user.