Public Works Maintenance Worker II - Facilities
Class Title: Maintenance Worker II (Facilities)
Department: Public Works
Reports to: Maintenance Supervisor
Responsible for performing routine building maintenance tasks. Performance of building maintenance tanks in one or more fields (e.g. carpentry, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc.) All other duties deemed necessary by the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Handles daily functions assigned by Maintenance Supervisor.
- Inspects buildings and other structures to determine functional systems and detect malfunctions and needed repair making notes and recommendations using a pre‐established check list.
- Performs minor electrical maintenance to include but not be limited to replacement or repair of fixtures (e.g. wall switches and outlets, incandescent and fluorescent bulbs and tubes, ballast, sockets, fuses, minor appliances, cords, etc.) using appropriate hand, power and specialty tools
- Performs minor plumbing maintenance (e.g. replacement or repair of leaks in drains and faucets, unclogging of drains, trenching and laying new lines, replacing drain hoses on washers and similar devices, etc.).
- Performs minor painting, carpentry and masonry work (e.g. preparing surfaces and using brush, sprayer, or roller to apply paints, stains, and varnishes, hanging doors, fitting locks and handles, etc.).
- Performs as-required janitorial work including emptying waste receptacles, cleaning minor spills, washing windows and doors, cleaning light fixtures and HVAC grills, etc.
- Order parts and maintain required documents.
- Must be able to work flexible hours.
- Maintain a safe and healthful workplace in accordance with policies and procedures of the department and organization
Materials and Equipment Used
Hand and power tools
Ladders and scaffolding
Scissor and boom lifts
Minimum Qualifications Required
Education and Experience: High school diploma and/or two years of related experience and/or training; any combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skill, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Basic understanding of electrical, HVAC, plumbing, and carpentry.
Licenses and Certification:
Valid South Carolina Driver’s License
Ability to obtain required technical certifications
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Mental and Physical Abilities to: Concentrate and pay close attention; while performing the essential functions of this job the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit, use hands to feel, see objects at close range, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk or hear, and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 100 pounds.
Working Conditions: Work is performed indoors and in the field with exposure to extreme temperatures, dirt and dust; the incumbent’s working conditions are typically to include working near moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock.
Must be able to read and understand instructions. State Driver’s License required. The City of Hardeeville is an EOE employer and an E-Verify user; all applicants considered for employment must submit to a background check and urinalysis screening for illegal drug use prior to offer of employment.
A complete job description and application is available on line at www.hardeevillesc.gov or at City Hall. Send resume and/or apply at City Hall, 205 Main Street, PO Box 609, Hardeeville, SC 29927, Attention City Clerk.