Accounts Payable Clerk
Class Title: Accounts Payable Clerk
Reports to: Finance Director
General Purpose of the Job
This position is responsible for reviewing and processing purchase orders, invoices, statements, and payments to vendors and handling the resolution of account discrepancies and procedural inquiries. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Finance Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and receive purchase orders, check requests and/or other related documentation and review for completeness and compliance with procurement policies and contractual requirements prior to issuance of payment.
- Verify proper approval and ledger coding of invoices and requests for payment prior to issuance of payment.
- Prepare journal entries of pooled cash accounts.
- Reconcile and prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports of operating expenditures, fringe benefits, and other needed analysis.
- Perform calculations to validate appropriate payment schedules.
- Maintain subsidiary ledgers for multiple projects and general operating activities.
- Follow up on account discrepancies and serve as the liaison between departments and vendors in the resolution of administrative matters.
- Develop subsidiary reports and presentations as requested by the Finance Director and City Manager.
- Actively assist the Finance Director as required in the design and implementation of internal control systems
- Assist other department heads with some accounting needs.
- Prepare various records/reports as needed for projecting future costs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of government accounting principles, practices and procedures
- Knowledge of purchase orders and accounts payable processes as per GAAP
- Skilled in using computers and other standard office equipment
- Ability to understand and interpret vendor invoices, statements, credit vouchers and other requests for payment.
- Ability to compile, analyze and evaluate data for use in circulating documents.
- Ability to maintain accurate, organized and detailed financial records.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to professionally communicate clearly and effectively; orally and in writing with City staff, the general public, and Elected Officials.
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive rapport with City staff, the general public and Elected Officials
- Associate degree in accounting or similar field
- Demonstrable knowledge of governmental accounting standards
- Experience with Incode software a plus
- Pass a background check and drug screen
- Possession of a valid state issued driver’s license
Interested applicants should submit a completed application, cover letter and resume highlighting experience and references via email to email@example.com; U.S. mail to City of Hardeeville, PO Box 609, Hardeeville, SC 29927, Attention: Finance Director; or faxed to (843) 784-6384. The City of Hardeeville is a drug free/smoke free workplace. The City of Hardeeville is an EOE employer and an E-Verify user; all applicants considered for employment must submit to a background check and urinalysis screening for illegal drug use prior to offer of employment. This position will be open until filled.